The Senior Public Engagement Specialists are a team of communications professionals with proactive principles and processes in place to build upon the Duke Energy mission of customer-centric community outreach and public engagement. The Engagement Specialists understand that a project’s success depends on the relationship between the people involved and their understanding of an issue’s interconnected viewpoints and creates and maintains a toolkit to ensure success. This function supports the successful engagement of customers to provide access or easements for targeted locations to move overhead electric lines underground.
Public Engagement is twofold: To advocate in the community for Duke Energy Grid Solutions projects while also decreasing public opposition by building understanding of the benefits of a reliable electric distribution grid. In addition, the program provides a structure to capture the perspectives, opinions and concerns of the public to be incorporated in the planning, siting, permitting and construction processes.
The Senior Public Engagement Specialist requires in-depth knowledge and experience; coordinating complex communications internally and externally; works independently and receives minimal guidance.
· The primary responsibilities of the Senior Public Engagement Specialist is to support the company’s strategic outreach efforts for targeted underground projects, including planning and construction activities. This position will assist with all outreach activities and initiatives, including preparing and coordinating external written communications to property owners and other stakeholders response, dispatch and tracking of external project inquiries; and monitoring and tracking project information.
· Participate in Grid Solutions TUG (Targeted Underground) project team meetings and processes, including field reviews and meetings with local Government & Communication Relations Managers to determine appropriate public engagement strategy.
· Approve letters, collateral and presentations as needed in coordination with internal communications departments, internal management, legal, engineering, siting team, etc. Coordinate the printing and mailing of external communications.
· Monitor property owner inquiries on assigned projects and manage response and documentation. Maintain a master site list and other project documentation and reporting.
· Lead the preparation and implementation of public information meetings and participate in public hearings, as required.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following
· Participate TUG project team meetings and processes including field reviews and meetings with local Government & Community Relations Managers to determine appropriate public engagement strategy.
· Draft letters, collateral and presentations as needed in coordination with internal communications departments, internal management, legal, engineering, project management, siting team, etc. Coordinate the printing and mailing of external communications.
· Lead the preparation and implementation of public information meetings and public hearings as required.
· Maintain master site list and other project documentation and reporting. Monitor property owner inquiries on assigned projects and manage response and documentation.
· Available for travel and to support after hours events
· Frequent travel to construction sites to meet with crews and customers
· Available to serve on an “on-call” basis
· Five to eight years of related experience
· Bachelor’s degree from a four year college or university preferably with emphases in mass communications or public relations or related degree
· Strong communication skills (verbal and written) necessary to interact with project managers, Government & Community Relations Managers, management, other employees and external community representatives and organizations
· Experience presenting and communicating with external audiences
· Good working knowledge in Microsoft Office programs
· Experience in electric utility business
· Distribution experience
· Project management experience
Relocation Assistance Provided (as applicable)
No (Charlotte), Yes (St. Pete)
Visa Sponsored Position
Posting Expiration Date
Thursday, April 12, 2018