Regulated Utilities Communications Manager I – Florida
The Regulated Utilities Communications Manager I – Florida manages the overall communications for Duke Energy’s regulated utility operations in Florida. Also manages the Florida regional communications team and provides strategic, well-integrated communications support for the regional president and the regional president’s organization including local and state governmental affairs, community relations, economic development, regulatory and public affairs. This position will report to the manager of regional communications for the Energy Solutions, Midwest and Florida regions and work closely with corporate communications, power generation, environmental, federal policy, emergency planning and governmental affairs to ensure alignment and advance Duke Energy’s national and regional strategies.
· Develop and implement strategic, integrated communications plans for high risk and complex issues that have a broad impact on the company
· Maintain awareness of national, regional and local issues to anticipate potential implications for the company and provides proactive communications to support the legislative, regulatory, operational, reputation management and brand strategies for Duke Energy Florida
· Provide guidance and communications counsel to organizations, groups and executive management, develops and manages media strategies, executive positioning plans and collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to develop response strategies and tactics
· Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism or a comparable field of study
· A minimum of 8-10 years of corporate communications and/or professional communications experience
· Strong media relations experience serving as a spokesperson including strategy and message development.
· Experience working with senior levels of management and providing executive counsel and coaching for media interviews, presentations/speeches
· Microsoft Office – Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, etc.
· Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
· Demonstrated public relations analytical skills to manage complex and high-risk issues that have a broad impact
· Proven examples of building innovative solutions in the context of the business strategy
· Experience in managing a team of seasoned communications professionals
· Demonstrated ability and strong experience developing and implementing strategic and integrated communications plans to effectively manage complex and challenging issues, including objectives which are achieved through tactics and tied directly to measurable results for multiple internal and external stakeholders
· Experience working with executives and senior levels of management and providing executive counsel and coaching for media interviews, presentations/speeches and business plans
· Ability to effectively interact and communicate with a variety of audiences, including community leaders, elected officials, customers and media
· Experience representing the company externally with challenging audiences in challenging situations
· Ability to work and make decisions independently and collaboratively with multiple stakeholders
· Experience in utility industry and/or regulated industry
· Experience in energy policy and advocacy
· Extensive experience in executive speech writing and executive positioning
· Experience working in a matrix organization with multiple accountability
· Experience in crisis communications, developing emergency response strategies and serving as a company spokesperson during a crisis